Navigation: General Information ➔ License Options
|General Information||Features||Applications||Solver Mode and |
|License Options||Support and Services|
Latest SysCAD Version: 27 August 2022 - SysCAD 9.3 Build 139.31623
Related Links: Licensing
Within a client's company, the SysCAD software may be freely installed and distributed on as many PC’s or laptops as may be required. However, a SysCAD USB License Key or software license key is required to activate the functionality of SysCAD in accordance with the terms of a specific license purchase agreement.
- Stand-alone or multi-user network licenses are available.
- Each license may potentially have different combinations of solver mode and add-on options selected - please see SysCAD Structure for more information on the solver and add-ons.
- A site may have a combination of separate stand-alone and network licenses.
- It is recommended to purchase one or more stand-alone licenses before purchasing network licenses. This gives greatest practical flexibility and cost effectiveness.
Potential users may contact Kenwalt at [email protected] to obtain a short term Trial or Evaluation license that would enable full functionality for evaluation and testing.
When a Full SysCAD version is first installed or when a SysCAD license expires, SysCAD will function in the “Demonstration Mode”. Most of the software functionality is available in this mode, but there is a severe limit on project size.
Stand-Alone or Network Licenses
A site may have any number and combination of separate network and stand-alone licenses.
It is strongly recommended to purchase one or more stand-alone licenses before purchasing network licenses. This gives greatest practical flexibility and cost effectiveness.
- A USB License Key is provided for a stand-alone license.
- A software license is sometimes used when issuing temporary short term licenses.
- The stand-alone software license can be transferred between machines.
Advantages of a stand-alone license:
- The user has a dedicated license.
- Multiple instances of SysCAD may be opened on the PC (ideal for comparing projects or working on multiple projects).
- The USB License Key facilitates easy license transfer between PCs.
- The license can operate disconnected from the network (ideal for travel, site visits, etc).
- The cost is less than a network license.
Disadvantage of a stand-alone license::
- If you have users in different locations it is not easy to share a physical USB License Key.
Multi-user Network Licenses
- The Multi-user Network License is useful in a network environment, especially where there are a larger number of occasional users.
- This license is issued on a “SysCAD License Server” located on the network (LAN or WAN).
- Any number of users on the network can “point” to the SysCAD license server.
- Licenses are accessed on a first come, first served basis. For example, for a three user license option, the first three copies of SysCAD started anywhere on the network are granted a license, the fourth attempt will fail and default into demo mode until one of the licensed copies of SysCAD are closed.
- A network license agreement is site based and can be used by users at any office(s) for the Site License Agreement.
- A network license site code is issued each year. The SysCAD version must also be upgraded from time to time, typically within a year of the release date.
- The USB License Key option is not available for network licenses.
Advantages of a network license:
- A larger number of users (many of whom may be occasional users), who may be in different offices, can access a smaller pool of licenses.
- Do not need to keep track of the physical shared USB License Keys.
Disadvantages of a network license:
- Users may only open as many instances of SysCAD as the number of network license seats owned by the client.
- Higher cost per license.
- Require IT setup and management of network license and must be on network to use the license.
- Require a new site code each year.
- If annual Upgrade & Maintenance is discontinued then a Stand-Alone USB License Key(s) are provided to replace the Network Software License(s).
Full and Runtime Licenses
Full and Runtime licenses are available. Any number or combination of Full and Runtime licenses may be purchased. Each license may potentially have different combinations of solver mode and add-on options selected.
A full license has all the functionality enabled, including the ability to build and change flowsheets in a project. This is primarily intended as a tool for users who build and maintain SysCAD flowsheet models or projects.
A runtime license allows the user to make model parameter changes, run a model and generate reports without editing the model. In other words the user cannot build or change a SysCAD flowsheet. The runtime license option provides flexibility for some sites depending on requirements and number of users. Use cases for a Runtime license include:
- A user is only required to run scenarios for existing models.
- A company already own a number of Full licenses, but some users are only required to run scenarios for existing models.
- A site may have any number and combination of separate network and stand-alone licenses. It is recommended to purchase one or more stand-alone licenses before purchasing network licenses. This gives greatest practical flexibility and cost effectiveness.
- Each license may potentially have different combinations of solver mode and add-on options selected.
- Discounting for each additional license purchased for a site is available.
Additional licenses or add-ons may be purchased at any future date, provided there is a current maintenance agreement for all licenses owned by the site.
License Modules and add-ons
SysCAD has a modular pricing structure. First select a solver mode (Steady State and/or Dynamic) and then select which add-ons are required. Only the add-ons to meet a users modeling requirements need to be purchased. Different licenses can be purchased with different options. For further description see Model Library Add-Ons.
Notes for Software License Key
- A software license key is used for Network licenses and License leases.
- A license key is provided for a fixed period of time of up to one year. Where a license has been purchased, the license key is renewed each time it expires.
- A software license is also used for short term licenses and trial versions.
Notes for USB License Key
- Compared to the software license option, a USB License Key is a robust licensing option.
- A USB License Key is very convenient when using SysCAD on different desktops and laptops.
- A USB License Key is issued for the purchase of each stand-alone license – the USB License Key "is the SysCAD license".
- USB License Keys can be updated remotely with the purchase of additional license options.
- The USB License Key option is not available for Network licenses or short-term license leases.
- If a USB License Key is lost or stolen, Kenwalt will not be held responsible and the client will need to purchase a replacement SysCAD license. However, if the client has a current maintenance contract, Kenwalt will issue a temporary software license to cover a limited time period so that the client can search for the missing USB License Key or organise to purchase a replacement license.
- If a USB License Key is faulty, it can be mailed to Kenwalt who will replace the USB License Key. If the client has a current maintenance contract, this will be replaced for free and Kenwalt will issue a temporary software license to cover the time period while the faulty USB License Key is being replaced. If the client does not have a current maintenance contract, then they will need to pay an administration fee for their USB License Key to be replaced.
- If a USB License Key has been formatted/cleared or physically damaged by the client, it can be mailed to Kenwalt who will replace the USB License Key after the client has paid an administration fee. If the client has a current maintenance contract, Kenwalt will issue a temporary software license to cover the time period while the damaged USB License Key is being replaced.