|Standard Species Model
|Heat of Formation
|Heat of Dilution
|Boiling Point Elevation
|Steam and Water
The Solubility of a liquid or solid in a Solvent is the mass of that species dissolved in a fixed mass of Solvent which is in equilibrium with an excess of the species at a given temperature. The solution is said to be Saturated at these conditions.
When the user enters solubility data for a species in the Species Database, then SysCAD will calculate the saturated solubility in solution for that species throughout a project.
- If there is sufficient excess of the solid form then SysCAD will dissolve sufficient mass to achieve a saturated solution.
- If there is an excess of the dissolved species, then SysCAD will automatically convert the excess to the other phase (usually the solid form).
SysCAD will automatically calculate the Heat of Reaction (HOR) for the dissolution or precipitation reaction based on the thermodynamic data in the Species database for the two species of interest.
As an example, if the species involved is FeCl3:
- If there is an excess of FeCl3(s) then SysCAD will dissolve the solid form to obtain a saturated solution of FeCl3(aq), with an associated drop in temperature (this is an endothermic reaction);
- If there is an excess of the aqueous species, then SysCAD will precipitate it to the solid form, FeCl3(s), with an associated rise in temperature (this is an exothermic reaction).
Solubility is one of the Phase Change options available in SysCAD.
Implementation in SysCAD
- Entering Solubility Data in the Species Properties Database - A description of solubility functions that can be entered in the Species Properties Database.
- Selectively applying solubility in unit models - Solubility in SysCAD can be selectively enabled in individual units using the Evaluation Block (EB).
- Solubility Information in Pipes - The information shown in the access window of pipes is described in the Material Flow Section.
- Solubility Information in a Project - The solubility information entered a project can be seen in the Species Properties Access Window (Species - View Properties).
- Example Project with Solubility - This gives a description of an example project that demonstrates the use and effect of solubility data.
The solubility of the KCl-NaCl-MgCl2-CaSO4 system encountered in the Potash industry is included as part of the Potash add-on and is handled differently to the solubility of other species in SysCAD.
Please see Potash Solubility for more information.