Direct Calc Model
Side Calc Model
Latest SysCAD Version: 26 October 2022 - SysCAD 9.3 Build 139.31866
New set of updated models available in Build 139.31866 and later. Previously released models (with Build137) have been archived as legacy models.
OLI Systems is a leading Electrolyte Simulation Software used to predicate equilibrium conditions and properties (such as pH) for aqueous chemistry.
- It is developed and maintained by OLI Systems (olisystems.com)
- It is assumed that the user has some familiarity with the theory and use of the OLI Systems program.
- The SysCAD TCE library option (in ScdOLI2.DLL) requires the SysCAD "Energy Balance", "Integration Libraries" (formerly "SMDK Runtime") and "TCE" add-ons. For Build 139 from August 2022, a TCE add-on is required instead of a separate individual OLI License add-on.
- This SysCAD add-on requires OLI Engine Runtime (32-bit) (licensed separately by OLI Systems Inc.) to be installed on their computer.
- The user may also require OLI Studio: Stream Analyzer (licensed separately by OLI Systems Inc.) to be installed on their computer. OLI Studio is required to create the OLI database file required by SysCAD.
- For legacy OLI models (ScdOLI.DLL) SysCAD version of Build 137, 138 or 139 is required. It cannot be used within the same project as the new TCE OLI Option. The legacy version will be discontinued in the next SysCAD Build.
- OLI in SysCAD is not implemented as a Species Properties Model but as unit models for use at appropriate locations in a plant model.
OLI Systems Software
The following is a direct quote from the OLI website:
- Analyze chemical streams, predict mineral scaling and corrosion in industrial chemical processes
Please visit the OLI Studio for more information.
OLI Option unit models:
- OLI Model Configuration - Used to define and view various options for the selected OLI database, including management of mapping of SysCAD species list to species list used in OLI.
- OLI Direct Calc Model - Standalone unit model to perform side calculations using OLI for predicting aqueous chemistry equilibrium conditions and properties on a user defined OLI stream.
- OLI Side Calc Model - Standalone unit model to perform side calculations using OLI for predicting aqueous chemistry equilibrium conditions and properties on a SysCAD stream in the current project.
- OLI Reactor 2 - Include this model in a SysCAD stream to use OLI to calculate predicted outlet conditions. Functionality is similar to SysCAD Reaction Block and FEM where for a given feed reactions occur with optional heat exchange. The model can be configured in a number of ways for different purposes.
- OLI Evaporator - Include this model in a SysCAD flowsheet to model an evaporator using embedded OLI calculations.
- OLI Flash Tank - Include this model in a SysCAD flowsheet to model a flash tank using embedded OLI calculations.
- OLI Reverse Osmosis Unit - Include this model in a SysCAD flowsheet to model reverse osmosis using embedded OLI calculations. OLI can be used to calculate maximum permeate recovery (to incipient solids formation) and other operating modes.
- OLI Feeder Model - Include this model in a SysCAD flowsheet to specify a feed using OLI species.
OLI Legacy unit models:
The following models are used for backward compatibility purposes. We highly recommend users convert any existing projects to use the new models.
- OLI Chemistry Model - please change to the new model OLI Model Configuration
- OLI Sample Model - please change to the new model OLI Direct Calc Model
- OLI Reactor - please change to the new model OLI Reactor 2
- Ionlist is used to breakdown the species to ions. Please see Species Mapping for more information on this topic.
OLI evaporation models using OLI dlls that do not incorporate VLE calculations are suitable for water evaporation only.
OLI SysCAD Project Workflow
The list below are some recommended steps in creating a new OLI SysCAD project group.
If user only intend to use OLI for standalone equilibrium calculations, thus not linking it to existing SysCAD stream or species database, then follow the (A). If user wishes to use OLI to evaluate SysCAD streams, then follow (B).
- OLI software requires an OLI configuration file (*.dbs).
- see OLI Referenced_File for instructions.
(A) Using OLI as stand-alone thermodynamic calculation engine to perform OLI equilibrium calculations:
- Create a Configuration File,
- select the OLI models in step 1 of 2 of edit configuration file,
- In Step 2 of 2 of edit configuration file, select the the OLI dll from the TCE tab .
- Create or open a SysCAD project using the cfg file you have just edited.
- Insert a OLI Model Configuration
- load in the OLI Model Definition file
- Inset a OLI Direct Calc Model. Use the direct calc to perform OLI equilibrium calculations.
(B) Using OLI to evaluate SysCAD streams or as part of the SysCAD flowsheet:
- Create a SysCAD.93.db3 file, the SysCAD database must contain the same number of individual phases as the OLI model file.
- A Utility is available to assist user with the creation of SysCAD.93.db3 file.
- The database is created using existing SysCAD data, OLI Model data is not transferred to the SysCAD database.
- Once a SysCAD.93.db3 file has been create, copy this database and the IonList.txt into the OLI SysCAD project \CfgFiles subfolder
- Check and edit the SysCAD.93.db3 file inside the CfgFiles subfolder and correct any missing data.
- Create a Configuration File,
- Create a SysCAD project.
- Add OLI Model Configuration,
- load in the OLI Model .dll file
- complete the OLI Species to SysCAD Species Mapping.
- Edit SysCAD.93.db3 and configuration file if species are missing.
- Once species mapping is satisfactory, add OLI unit models to the project where appropriate.
The file that will be referenced by the SysCAD OLI Chemistry Model is the OLI Chemistry Model Database file created in OLI, e.g. NickelSpecies.dbs.
To generate an "OLI Chemistry Model" perform the following steps in OLI Studio:
- Create a stream in a new project or for an existing OLI project (*.oad) file.
- Select MSE or AQ databank.
- On the Definition tab, add the components of interest.
- Run an isothermal single point calculation.
- If File Viewer tab is not visible, select menu Tools|Options. Then for Plug-Ins select the "OLI File Viewer" option and press OK.
- On the File Viewer tab, for "File Type" select "Generated Model File". Push "Save File" button which will prompt to save a file with .dbs extension. This is the file required by SysCAD.
- This file is essential for the OLI Chemistry Model to function.
- The file can be saved at any location - it does not have to be saved in the SysCAD project.