Build 135 Release Notes
- Build 135.14331, released on 19th September 2013, new correlations in Potash Species model.
- Build 135.13952, released on 22th July 2013, further improvements for drawing links.
- Build 135.13850, released on 9th July 2013, introduces improved options for drawing links including automatic insertion of break points at link intercepts; and significant improvements in Cut and Paste.
- Build 135.13731, released on 18th June 2013, introduces Grid lines when editing flowsheets and vastly improved automatic line drawing functionality.
- Build 135.13358, released on 19th April 2013, includes the new Graphics Copy & Paste functionality.
- Build 135 was first released on 22th November 2012, and is the fifth major release for SysCAD 9.2.
- See Revision History for a full list of improvements and fixes after the first release of Build 135.
- See Upgrading Builds for a detailed recommended procedure for upgrading projects between Builds for the same version.
What's New and Changed
Significant Solver Speed-up
Model solve times reduced by up to half of the original 134 solve time! Typically models solve about 40% faster but in some cases for large projects 50% faster (i.e. up to twice as many iterations completed per second in 135 compared to 134).
By profiling the code the most frequently used (and time intensive) solver calculations and code were identified. This code was then reviewed and carefully optimised to give the significant speed-up. This is achieved without any loss in functionality or quality in results.
Copy and Paste Graphics Functionality
Copy, Cut and Paste functionality is now available within flowsheets for Build 135.13358:
- Users may copy an entire graphics flowsheet, sections of a flowsheet, or individual units and paste this into a new flowsheet within the same project, or into a different project.
- Copied graphics may be pasted multiple times, either into the same flowsheet, or to different flowsheets.
- Graphics can be cut and pasted within a project, effectively moving the graphics and models on the same flowsheet or to a different flowsheet.
- Users may also copy and paste Text, either from SysCAD flowsheets or from other Text editors, into flowsheets.
- The first time Build 135.13358 or newer is used for a project, SysCAD flowsheet dxf files are upgraded to use a consistent convention for symbol names which is required for Copy & Paste and for the new Symbol Management Commands.
- With Build 135.13358 the symbols installed with SysCAD to the \BaseFiles\Symbols folder have been updated. Users may get warning messages if these are not installed correctly. It is recommended that the old \BaseFiles\Symbols are deleted and the latest symbols installed or unziped.
- Copy and Paste is intended for use with drawings drawn in SysCAD where the symbols used are defined in the Symbols folders and links are drawn in SysCAD.
- If extensive use of the Explode and/or imported dxf drawings with Construct Graphics Commands are used, then copying and pasting is unlikely to produce satisfactory graphics as described in Graphics Copy Limitations. The original graphics can be "fixed" BEFORE copying as described in Managing Not Found Symbols and Managing Non-Standard Links.
- Build 13660 significantly improved copy and paste - models with Tag references, such as PIDs, Ties and Tanks with splits are now updated for the copied units.
- Build 13801 significantly improved cut and paste - this is now effectively a move retaining all model configuration and state (result fields).
Build 135.13850 / 135.13952:
- New menu options Graphics|Display|... to apply horizontal, vertical or no breaks at intercepts of all standard link lines.
- While drawing links, break points can be automatically inserted if Links intersect with existing link lines, see Link Intercept Methods.
- When inserting a link or redrawing a link:
- Hold down Ctrl and Shift keys and click to fine tune the position of a segment or end points of a link.
- The option to manually insert large or small breakpoints by holding the Ctrl key is retained.
- Hold down Shift key when drawing links and any insertions of intercept breakpoints are temporarily disabled.
- Significantly improved the auto-routing of the default link when first creating a link between units. The user can now select preferred snap-to for ends of the default graphics for insert link.
- New functionality to display a Grid when editing graphics. The user has a choice of different grid styles - dots, ruler, lines - and also when the grid is displayed - the default option is 'During Edit Command Only'.
- Added new options and reorganised existing options over two tab pages, Graphics tab and Drawing tab.
- New Symbol Management Commands that allow users to list and change unit symbols.
- Easily Save a New Graphics Symbol directly from the Symbols List dialog and allow the user to set the name, size and insert point of exported symbol.
- New graphics Tag menu commands to quickly show, hide or size all unit or link tags in a drawing.
- Insert Unit now has an Undo button.
- Change Symbol has been improved to display information about the existing symbol and to allow users to change multiple symbols at once.
- Explorer Window and Graphics Commands have new functionality allowing users to create new Graphics pages.
Dynamic Transfer Modes rework
For Dynamic Transfer projects, Build 135 includes significant rework and improvements for many aspects of the solver and functionality.
- The FlowCalc mode "Transfer" has been renamed as "Transfer Push" and is functionally the same with some improvements.
- The FlowCalc mode "Transfer Net" has been renamed as "Transfer Pull" and has changed and improved significantly.
- New functionality to identify "local networks" which are sections of piping (including ties, valves and pumps) between feeders and/or tanks. Use button "ShowLocal" on Info tab page to view local network.
- Improved mechanism for setting and managing FlowCalc mode. The FlowCalc mode is set in pipes. Added a button "SetLocal" on Info tab page of pipes that can be used to set the FlowCalc mode for all other pipes in the same "local network".
- Some "local networks" can be in Transfer-Pull. In this FlowCalc mode, SysCAD dynamic solver performs an extra task at the start of each time step to calculate the required "pull" flows for a given local network. This local network is traversed to determine the "pull" demand values for each inlet to the local network. Once the required "pull" values are calculated, the actual operation of the flows through the local network is the same as for Transfer-Push.
- At model PreStart and during the first iteration SysCAD analyses "local networks" that are in Transfer-Pull FlowCalc mode to check that they are consistent and legal.
General Dynamic improvements and changes:
- Improved display of tags for setting Flow Capacity (FC) in pipes on the Settings tab page. For pipes that are outlets of tanks that have Connection Options configured (eg Filter.Method) there is text display in the pipe of the tank connection option.
- When defining output connection options of a tank, there are new options:
- New filter option to pass water only (considerably simpler than configuring a species filter);
- Overflow tick box to mark an outlet pipe as an unrestrained exit point. (i.e. this pipe must be in Transfer-Push FlowCalc mode and will take all material so that tank remains at connection height).
- Improved colour display of FlowCalc modes when solver is stopped.
New Model: Screen 2
The new Screen 2 is a generic multi-layered screen model that replaces the original Screen model. It includes all of the features of the original screen model, as well as:
- Allows the user to specify a 'cut off' size for the deck underflow material;
- Increased flexibility when specifying liquid split or solids moisture;
- Ability to have up to 8 separate decks;
- Ability to use as simple solids separator if no PSD data or size distribution license;
- New Rosin-Rammler (Reid/Plitt) partition curve option;
- New Del Villar/Finch partition curve option; and
- Improved display of deck information and streams.
- Add new display field on Audit page for Heat of Dilution contribution (for each species with HOD data) for change in dilution based on the common flow (ie minimum flow of total in and total out) between inlets and outlets. This is in Build 135.14010. The change in dilution can be caused by a number of effects such as mixing streams of different concentrations, change in water massflow between total in and out (because of reactions, flashing, etc).
- For display of [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected], changed the reference pressure for water and steam to use standard pressure (101.325kPa) rather than saturation pressure. This is in Build 135.13978 so that standard pressure and 0C is now used consistently as reference for all species. The water changes are small, the steam changes can be quite large. [email protected], [email protected] and [email protected] are all unchanged. Project results are unchanged, but the display of these fields @0 change.
- Added EB for Makeups, Reactions, etc to Flotation Cell.
- Added a new range check for water above critical temperature - see Water and Steam Properties.
- Added an option to the Bayer feed calculator to zero any other liquids.
- The Alumina Precipitation Model can be configured to act as a classifying precipitator. By connecting an underflow stream and selecting the Classification option the user is presented with different options for solids/liquids separation, including the ability to separate by PSD as well as separate separation of specific solids species such as Sodium Oxalate.
- The General Separator has a new Solids Separation Method called "Solids PSD" which can be used to split solids based on size data. This further enhances the flexibility of this general model to act as a size based separator such as a classifier.
- The General Separator has a new option for selected solids species bypass to bypass to overflow and underflow (previously this bypass was to underflow only or overflow only).
- Fixed Flash Tank 2 when operating in Stand Alone mode and using the Required Temperature option.
- Added area correction factor in Alumina Precipitator3 for scaling for non-sphericity.
- Add optional scale factor for Alumina3 Specific Heat (Cp) correlation
- Improved Potash Solubility accuracy for unsaturated and saturated KCl/NaCl brine solutions containing up to 12g MgCl2 per 100g water.
- New "BeltFeeder" check box option in Conveyor model for simple configuration for use as Belt Feeder or Apron Feeder.
- Improvements to Sugar Unit Models.
Controller PGM Improvements
- New string function IsEmpty.
- New function DynTagExists to test if a tag is valid.
- New CheckBox data type (similar to bit) in PGM and MP.
- Extended PGM Species Database Class (SDB) to include Cp (Specific Heat) and Sf (Entropy) functions. Added SpI(species) function to return species index.
- New function MW(component/species/element) to return molecular weight.
- New GetStr and SetStr functions in MP to access string tags.
- Improvements to Notepad++ usage:
- For colour syntax highlighting in PGM files an updated User Defined Language file, SysCADLanguage.xml, has been provided;
- A file to enable auto-completion of functions and keywords and hints for functions has been constructed, SysCAD pgm.xml.
Size Distribution Configuration Improvements
Several changes have been made to assist with defining sieve series which are used for defining a size distribution:
- New specification method Tyler Mesh: Provides the full Tyler Mesh series and allows the user to truncate it as desired.
- New specification method US Mesh: Provides the full US Mesh series and allows the user to truncate it as desired.
- Copy to Clipboard button: Allows the user to copy a sieve series to the clipboard for pasting into external programs such as Excel.
- Paste From Clipboard button: Allows the user to copy a sieve series from an external program such as Excel onto the clipboard and paste it into SysCAD for the Manual Sieve Series.
Other Improvements and Changes
- New functionality when opening a project with a missing Configuration File. The user may now browse for an alternate configuration file, or unzip and use the Backup configuration file, or use another configuration file selected from a list.
- Improved save, recover, initialisation and solver functionality for tear streams for qualities.
- New keyword 'Symbol' can be used in Excel Tag Select Reports to report the symbol names used for models.
- A new conversion unit, Frequency has been added to the Available Conversions.
- Model Explorer Window is constructed significantly quicker, especially noticeable for larger projects. Added options to include/exclude groups Nodes, Classes, Flows and Tears, by default only Classes is on.
- Message Window has a new Option 'Clear messages on run'. When this is ticked, the messages window is automatically cleared at the start of every run. This is really useful, as it allows the user to see only the messages that are valid for the current run. (By default this option is 'On'.)
- New COM Automation command to read or write arrays of tags (ScdAppTags.GetValues and ScdAppTags.SetValues). This is significantly faster then setting/getting tags one by one (ScdAppTags.TagValue) with COM.
- SMDK developer improvements - new methods for existing classes.
- Environment has improved calculation for Atmospheric Pressure based on elevation.
- Explorer Window and Trend Commands have new functionality allowing users to create new Trend pages.
SysCAD has been upgraded to use Crypkey 7.7 which has a number of improvements.
IMPORTANT: When installing or upgrading you may need to check that your license location is correct and that the correct versions of licensing software (syscad.exe and crp32002.ngn) are present. This is described below: Build 135 and Licensing Software Changes.
- Notepad++ Version 6.3.3 is available for download from the SysCAD downloads page.
- An updated version of the SysCAD user defined language file, SysCADLanguage.xml is available for this latest version of Notepad++. Please see Keyword highlighting.
- We have also provided a new file, SysCAD PGM.xml, that will enable auto-completion for SysCAD pgm keywords and functions and will provide function parameters and hints. Please see Auto-complete Functions and Keywords.
New Tutorial documentation and projects. The original Tutorial document has been reorganised into an introductory tutorial and a supplementary tutorial document. There is a greater emphasis on self-learning. The introductory tutorial document is now installed with SysCAD. The supplementary tutorial document is available for downloading from the web site for users with a current annual maintenance agreement.
A new section in the online documentation eTips containing useful examples demonstrating key features and functionality. These supplement the existing software documentation and tutorials. The list of eTips will be extended over time.
Build 135 Changes that may affect results or project upgrade
- A fix in in Makeup Block (MU) in Build 13955 when using elemental concentration by phase, now correctly only includes the species with the listed element for the specified phase.
- A fix in Disk Centrifuge in Build 13949 when using the CentConc method where required concentrations at 25C were not being achieved.
- With improvements and rework of Dynamic Transfer solver, including Transfer Push and Transfer Pull, the configuration of some dynamic projects may need to be adjusted. Check the startup messages for any errors and adjust the configuration accordingly.
- Fix in Reaction Block where a source/sink/recycle species is used in the RB and where Final Concentration extent method is used in a reaction can result in a correction in the amounts reacted.
- Improvement in the Potash saturation values, where MgCl2 is present, will affect results in Potash projects.
- If an elevation other than zero is used in Environment than the use of the improved calculation for Atmospheric Pressure based on elevation will give small differences in gauge pressures.
- With significant rework of Graphics Symbols dxf drawings are upgraded the first time a project is loaded to use a consistent convention for symbol names. For older projects the incorrect symbol may occasionally be used, or links may not start / end (relative to unit symbols) exactly as before.
- If a pgm or mp has a variable name with the new reserved words MW, SpI or CheckBox it will not load. You need to edit the file, change the variable name and check the values after it loads successfully.
- Changes to tags in models recover automatically. Where "old" tags are used in referenced files (example PGM, PID, Excel, etc.) there is typically a warning message about tag change. These changes to tags should not affect project upgrade or results, but these references should be corrected for future use. (The warnings can come from tags in pgm files, trend windows and the data historian. You can search pgm code for the tags and replace them with the new equivalents, check tags in trend windows and if the warnings still persist, go to menu Project/Settings and on the historian tab press delete and restart to clear the historian data).
Build 135 and Licensing Software Changes
SysCAD has been upgraded to use Crypkey 7.7.
What to do if license is not found after installing Build 135
- Check the license location. Depending on where Build 135 is installed, it may not "remember" which folder is the license folder. Simply use the change license location menu option to point at the correct folder; then exit and restart SysCAD.
- You may need to copy the correct versions of crp32002.ngn and syscad.exe to your license folder. If the incorrect versions of these files are in your license folder, SysCAD Build 135 will go to Demo mode and give an error message describing this problem. Problem is easily resolved by exiting SysCAD, then copy these two files from the installed Build 135 folder ...\Setup\LicensingUtility. (These files are also available from SysCAD downloads page.)
- If using a USB License Key and it is not recognised, Kenwalt will need to provide an update file. Please email Kenwalt and provide the USB License Key serial number so that an update to fix the USB Key can be provided electronically.
Important files that have changed:
- Licensing Utility (syscad.exe) version 2.5 is required in the license folder.
- Newer crp32002.ngn version 7.7 (also shown as build 7727) is required in the license folder.
- Existing software licenses are not lost and will continue to work as before (when the correct versions of syscad.exe and crp32002.ngn are located in the license folder).
- Build 134 can be used with the Build 135 license files.
- When the license location is changed in SysCAD, it is a requirement to exit and restart SysCAD to ensure the correct ngn file is running.
- The Crypkey Service (installed with setupex.exe) has not changed from Build 134 and should not need re-installation when changing license folders, etc.
Previous 9.2 Builds
- Build 134 was the fourth official release for SysCAD 9.2 (16th December 2011). See Build 134 Release Notes and Revision History.
- Build 133 was the third official release of SysCAD 9.2 (24th January 2011). See Build 133 Release Notes and Revision History.
- Build 132 was the second official release of SysCAD 9.2 (26th March 2010). See Build 132 Release Notes and Revision History.
- Build 131 was the first official release of SysCAD 9.2 (31st July 2009). For notes on upgrading SysCAD projects from 9.1 to 9.2 see Upgrade to SysCAD 9.2. See SysCAD 9.2 Release Notes and Revision History.